[pp.int.general] Brazil says NO for Microsoft OpenXML

machado at sociologia.de machado at sociologia.de
Fri Aug 31 18:49:05 CEST 2007

Hi pirates,

The Brazilian Technical Standards Organization will fill the ISO form with a NO and will attach the 63+2 technical comments to justify the position.

The decision was very difficult because the strong lobby of Microsoft under some organization members. I think the countries that decide say YES are making a "political"($$) decision or don’t have really a standardization process.

Poland, China, USA and Spain decided say NO for Microsoft's OpenXml. I think, ISO tend to reject the OpenXml standart!

Jorge
(from Brazil)
http://www.pp-international.net/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2061

Natsu <piratenatsu at gmail.com> schrieb am 31.08.2007 16:13:
> 2007/8/31, Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) <rick at piratpartiet.se>:
>
>  Short version: MS paid a ton of business partners to show up at the last
> minute to rig the Swedish standards vote in favor of OOXML (which would
> never have passed Swedish Standards Institute otherwise),

This is where it would have stopped in my country.

shit hits the fan, top story in newspapers, MS panics and backpedals like
> crazy, Swedish Standards Institute declares vote invalid and that it will
> abstain its vote in ISO

This is what is amazing. It wouldn't have made top story in Spanish
newspapers, and neither Microsoft nor any institution would have backed up.
I find it awesome that your newspapers have made this top news.
Congratulations!
Pirate Parties International - General Talk
pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net