[pp.int.general] Trifle: wiki license & stuff / Pirate Domain fka Public Domain

Natsu piratenatsu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 16:26:51 CEST 2007

As a member of both author's rights and PR commitees, I can't agree. Public
Domain means "public". There is no need to substitute "public", which means
"owned by all", for "pirate", which is going to be understood as "owned by
someone else". Please, do NOT use the word "pirate" in anything related to
property or domain. Use "public" and "free", NEVER "Pirate". Using Pirate
gives the impression that we are trying to supplant them, that we mean to
substitute them for us. The terms we use to counter their own terms must not
mean "us-pirates", but "us-mankind". "Us against them" can't be "Pirates vs.
Industry", but "Mankind vs Industry", "Public vs Industry" or "Society vs
Industry".

At least, those are my two cents. And again, I must add that if we still use
the terms "property" and "domain", we are using their terms, not ours.
"Public Domain" sounds fair enough. "Pirate domain" sounds awful: most
people indentify with the public, and few with "pirate".

Please, let's be careful with the semantic battle. If we win the battle of
the terms we will have won great distance in Marketing and PR. But we cannot
put the word "Pirate", or "Piracy" out of the Parties' names. It will only
get us bad image and some ill will.

IMHO.

Greetings,

Natsu

2007/6/16, Mirco da Silva <inkorrupt at gmx.de>:

> hi,
> in accordance to nanuks very smart "capture-the-term"-idea, I´d like to
> suggest the developement, publishing and heavy use of a
> *Pirate Domain* (formerly known as and compatible to *Public Domain*)
> but with a cooler branding. ;)
> regards,
> inkorrupt
>

> On Sa, 2007-06-16 at 12:06 +0200, Findeton wrote:
> > In Spain we use the Public Domain for everything in our webpage,
> > including our wiki. I guess it's some kind of fight against the laws,
> > wich can extend the copyright until the year 3007... or even further,
> > and just because they do not want Mickey Mouse to 'go Public'. :P
> >
> > On 6/16/07, Jan Huwald <jh at sotun.de> wrote:
> >         What kind of license do you want to have for the international
> >         wiki? All
> >         content created in the int. wiki will fall under it.
> >
> >         I suggest creating the content within public domain, but there
> >         are reasons to
> >         put content under some license. But they are all
> >         jurisdictional and I do not
> >         think that suing somebody using our text/graphics is an
> >         opinion for us at the
> >         moment.
> >
> >         Also, if you want to have interwiki-links to your parties
> >         forum/wiki/blog/...
> >         add your wish to the list at
> >         https://int.piratenpartei.de/Wiki_Todo
> >
> >         Regards,
> >         Jan

Isabel María Guzmán Miranda

Coordinadora del comité sectorial de Cultura y Derechos de Autor