[pp.int.general] Trifle: wiki license & stuff

Jouni Snellman jounisnellman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:56:29 CEST 2007

I am glad this came up. I have never understood the fuss about GPL, CC and
what have you. On meta level they are more of the same as Microsoft, based
on the same idea that there are "rights" involved when you download stuff.
They actually reinforce the industry message to the users by imitating the
setting and structures of the industry licenses.

If you buy or eat a loaf of bread or if you sit on a chair, nobody is there
to tell you - usually - who made or designed them or whether or not you
agree to something when you "exercise your right" to use these wonderful
creations. IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING that there are no third party rights
involved with use. If there is something wrong with them you can talk to the
person who you got them from or who is otherwise responsible for them. With
music and software it´s supposed to be different only because the industry
is trying to tell you so.