[pp.int.general] John Smith and the IP Regime

Jan Huwald jh at sotun.de
Tue Nov 27 17:26:40 CET 2007

Hi pirates,

I found a beautiful paper about the risk of copyright in the digital age. It
calculates the amount of compensation claims a usual citizen accumulates over
an average day: $12.000.000 - without burning a single cd, sharing files over
p2p or circumventing copy protection.

http://www.turnergreen.com/publications/Tehranian_Infringement_Nation.pdf

It is a nice reference point for argumentation as well as a source for harsh
US copyright cases.

It would be interesting to see comparable costs for other countries than the
USA. For german laws I will compile a similar average guy for a lecture in
January (but of course I am not as firm as the US law professor).

Regards,
Jan