[pp.int.general] 120 Days Left for Utah in the USA

Ray Jenson ray.jenson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 17:18:37 CEST 2007

Hello, Everyone!

I'm needing a bit of help, and I hope that you can all assist me.

Today marks a very important day. Today marks 120 days from the deadline
in February to have all of the signatures ready and counted for Utah to
be permitted to form the Pirate Party of Utah.

However, there is a problem. In spite of our attempts to gain some
measure of attention with the press, it simply hasn't happened. We're
simply not making enough of a wave to gain the kind of attention we need
to get people interested and aware. I'm still running into people
regularly who have never heard of the Pirate Party, or who think that
we're actually a lobbying group without much in the way of support. We
aren't making a stir, and so the media just doesn't care. The perception
is that we simply lack support (though the supporters I have found tend
to be rather excited-sounding about the idea of there being a political
party as long as they personally don't need to do anything more than join).

Truth be told, we are indeed lacking in signatures. We announced 60 days
ago that we were looking to collect signatures to petition the
government for political party status. It has not happened yet, and at
the current rate we're not going to qualify.

What I need from everyone are some ideas about how to generate enough
publicity to make this happen. I'm completely out of ideas, and the
press just is not interested in publishing stories, because all of the
press in Utah is currently owned by members of one or the other major
parties. Except for my own newspaper, which is not yet publishing due to
my lack of money, but which I hope to be having soon.

I hope to hear any ideas soon, as this second 60 days needs to move
much, much faster. Official count on the signatures has not yet reached
50 out of 2000 needed. If we go with electronic signatures, we need
3,400 instead of 2,000, according to the current Lieutenant Governor's
rules.

Thank you, anyone and all.

Sincerely,

Ray Jenson