[pp.int.general] Purpose of copyright

Christian Engström christian.engstrom at piratpartiet.se
Sat Aug 23 14:46:32 CEST 2008

Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2008/8/23 Richard M. Stallman <rms at gnu.org>:
>
>> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/misinterpreting-copyright.html.
>>
> I don't know if Rick will agree on this, but I have the feeling this
> paper could have been writing by one of us "Pirates".
I would most certainly agree, and I'm confident that Rick would as well.

This is exactly what the copyright fight is all about, and I think RMS's
text explains the issue brilliantly.

> I think we'll talk more about that with Carlos, but I have to say that
> both the 2006 declaration and the Uppsala declaration are important
> basis to work on, and that elaborating longer, more developed
> documents does not necessarily means forgetting the previous one --
> that is, when you personally have enough time to work with the group
> anyway,
I agree with this as well, including the part about actually having the
time to do the work.

I think Carlos is right when he says that a European Pirate Manifesto
that allows every single pirate party to look at it and say proudly
"this is my manifesto" is a good thing, if and when we can agree on one.
However, if it turns out that we need more time to come up with such a
manifesto, I see no particular harm in putting that work on the back
burner for a while.

Right now, it is less than 10 months to the European Parliament
election, which means that we will probably want to focus most of our
energy on that, in each of the individual member states.

The way I see it we are already sufficiently agreed on what constitutes
the pirate ideology to be able to speak with conficence about a united
international pirate movement. This is a good thing, and something we
can all use in our respective national campaigns in whatever way is
useful in each individual member state.

I think we all agree in what direction legislation in Europe should move
in order to promote freedom. This is good. The focus now should be to
get into the European Parliament from as many member states as possible.
Once we have achieved that, we can really start to make things happen in
the political debate in Europe.

/Christian

--
Christian Engström