[pp.int.general] Purpose of copyright

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Mon Aug 25 21:16:03 CEST 2008

----- Mensaje original ----
De: Richard M. Stallman <rms at gnu.org>
Enviado: lunes, 25 de agosto, 2008 19:50:15
> > If the US "copyright" model is the right one and the "author's rights" -nevertheless, the
> > UDHR standard- the wicked one, why do all these things happen in USA?

> Because the US government is the tool of big business. It caved in completely around 1980 or so.
>
> The ideals on which the US was based are very wise, but the US government today is their worst enemy.  Sad
> to say, the European Union is following the same path.

Yes, no matter Republican or Democrat, regarding author's rights is the same crap. Same happens in Spain with big two parties: PP and PSOE; PSOE (currently holding prime ministry) aims for levies, heavily restricted private copying, favouring RMOs and publishers ... PP aims for abolishing both levies and private copying and using DRM-like solutions instead, favouring publishers and have said nothing about its plans regarding

But this is not a new scenario, as nearly as soon as XIXth century Spain was one of the first countries signing Berne Convention.

> One indication of this is its tendency to use the term "intellectual property".

A very harmful usage, indeed.

> It is biased: it suggests a bad basis for thinking about copyright law, or whatever law one is talking about.  It is
> also confused: it encourges people to treat copyright law, patent law, trademark law, and other laws as a
> single issue, and that leads people to be "for intellectual property" or "against intellectual property", which are
> both simplistic.

We in PPI -and I say we as we all wrote it- recommend you, Mr. Stallman, to read our answers to EC Levies Consultation. There, we heavily criticize many things including the usage of expressions like intellectual property.

> I would therefore like to make a suggestion for Pirate Parties' program:
>
> To explicitly reject and denounce the term "intellectual property", and propose to undo recent government
> reorganizations motivated by that term that with the goal of grouping unrelated laws together under that term,
> with a view towards discouraging the public confusion that this grouping causes.

See our joint stances regarding Culture & Author's Rights: one of them explicitly states the following: "stop using expressions like 'intellectual property' (everyone seems to agree on that they are misleading and harmful)"; so we in PPI actually agree with you in rejecting such expressions. Glad to be able to exchange mails with you again; regards,

                                                                     Carlos Ayala
                                                                     ( Aiarakoa )

                                                 Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman

P.S.: By the way, Mr. Stallman, I know that you use to visit Extremadura, Spain -don't know if yearly-; next time you visit Spain, specifically Extremadura, I invite you to contact PIRATA's Information Society responsible -his mail is coordinador.si at partidopirata.es-, who lives there, in order to allow both of you to meet each other and share viewpoints regarding FLOSS and Author's Rights. Myself I would try to also attend the meeting.

Correo Yahoo!
Regístrate ya - http://correo.yahoo.es