[pp.int.general] The manifesto, PPI, and everything

Valentin Villenave v.villenave at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 21:35:25 CET 2008

2008/12/3 Andrew Norton <andrew.norton at pirate-party.us>:

> Finally, a lot of people just don't seem interested in PPI, in making
> things work. We've has suggestions for issues, and no-one's really been
> interested. I for one, find it hard to get enthused and work on a
> project that no-one else wants to work on.

Greetings Andrew,

Discussions on this list tend to get too long, but I feel compelled to
mention that at least two or three members or the French party use to
read *everything* that's posted here, however silently. Most of the
time we hardly have any new or interesting information to bring, and
that is the main reason why we do not often take part in debates
and/or consultations.

I think you've spoken wisely and sanely. One point you did not mention
is that PPI discussions and projects are often 1) huge 2) very much
abstract. Most of us are very young, and such tasks as writing a
manifesto or planning an election are some kind of "terra incognita"
to us.

On the contrary, concrete projects such as Parti Pirate's Libre-music
compilation (we're getting ready for its second instalment), our
web-platform and so on, help us keeping it real, feeling efficient,
and getting some work done. (And such projects are not necessarily
less noble than big abstract things: for instance, our wish to include
the Free Software Song in our compilation led us to have a long and
interesting conversation with RMS, and eventually led him to pay some
attention to the "Pirate" movement.)

While we're mostly focusing on trivial national tasks (such as French
short PRs, Free-Culture-related projects, partnerships with other
French groups), we're always happy to share anything we can with you
guys, and to bring as much support as our resources allow us to. But
without necessarily wanting to be "_the_ best", we can hardly take
part in something we don't feel competent at.

Regards,
Valentin