[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Thu Dec 25 20:08:37 CET 2008

Am Thursday 25 December 2008 18:52:09 schrieb Reinier Bakels:
> if you want to go back to the days before the french revolution ...
> note that this type of property protection in germany is covered by art. 14
> of the german constitution - and the first twenty articles of the german
> constitution in essence can not be changed. after "some" problems (weimar
> republic, 2nd world war) in 1949 the germans decided that some principles
> should be protected against mala fide legislators ... do you really propose
> to change this? then mr. stallmann, a revolution is the only solution.
These are really difficult questions which should not be considered to have
easy answers. Yes, property is guaranted int the Grundgesetz but only to some
extend. First, every property binds the owner to use it for the good of
general public. Second, property might not be taken away without
compensation . You can't change the right, that's also true.

But when the question of copyright and author's right arises, it is a really
difficult situation. Our constitutional court once ruled that author's rights
are property. (they didn't say "intellectual property" because something like
that simply doesn't exist) That's exactly the reason why I proposed an
amendement erasing the sentence "Authors rights are rights. They are not
property"  because that would conflict with German law. However, the decision
says as well that though author's rights are property, not every aspect of
them and especially not every aspect of the commercial exploitation rights
has automatical constitutional protection. This means we cetainly would be
able to adjust our laws regarding author's rights to what we want them to be.

But we have to be really careful and consider the unique legal situation in
every single state. I am not sure if it would be possible to reduce the term
for works already published. While I think, if you are able to extend the
term for existing works, you should also be able to shorten it. it might not
be possible. At least in the German criminal law there exists a principle
that you can't punish anyone for doing something that wasn't a crime by law
at the time he did it. So, we have to look at every state seperately and
consider our options.

For example, if you shorten the term of copyright in Germany only for new
works, you could as well argue that this discrimates author's who create new
works and is therefore unconstitutional.

regards
Helmut