[pp.int.general] General attitude

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) rick at piratpartiet.se
Fri Dec 26 20:58:51 CET 2008

In light of the recent discussion, I'd just like to share an attitude of
mine.

Sometimes, people tell me "you can't do that", or "how do you justify
this in light of this particular law or case history".

I always respond to them, "You're talking to me as if I were a lawyer,
as if I were interested in interpreting law. I'm not. I think the law is
plain wrong, and therefore, I am a politician. I am doing this to CHANGE
the law. What the law says today is not relevant."

Remember, folks: we are aspiring to be legislators here. We are going to
be writing the letter and spirit of the law. With our own keyboards,
signing it with our own ink. There is NO decision we cannot make. Not
one single human being is going to be able to tell us what we can or
cannot write into law. If the coalition we're a part of tries that, they
will lose our support which is necessary to keep the prime ministry
(different pp.*:s will have different leverage mechanisms to obtain this
position of power over the appropriate parts of the national
legislation), so that's not going to happen. If somebody outside of the
coalition does that, they can be completely and safely ignored.

That is my mindset, and that has to be the mindset. The only thing
limiting us is our ability to execute on that mindset, and the trap of
stumbling onto the adversary's discursive ballpark. Own the word. Own
the message. Own the discussion and discourse. We are definitely riding
a global undercurrent. This takes time, but we can do this.