[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Sun Dec 28 10:53:03 CET 2008

Good morning Richard,
I think a Pirate Party that strives to be a serious, mainstream political
party rather than a marginal extremist group should not even think of such
ideas. If only imho there are plenty of opportunities for dramatic
improvements that are much more realistic.
On the logic of you reasoning: property rights become property rights
because of their properties (characteristics), not because legislators
explicitly decide to do so. So it would not help if legislators simply say
"this is not a property right". The essence is that one can not take away a
right from someone that represents a (monetary) value (well, there are
exceptions, such as taxes and fines, see art. 1 of the first protocol to the
ECHR). And I repeat: the European Court of Human Rights can enforce the
ECHR. All Council of Europe member states participate, even Russia. Only
Belarus does not participate - perhaps you could cooperate with president
Lukachenko?
Well, a right that is non-transferable and non licenceable would perhaps
meet the requirements not to be considered as a property right. The moral
right associated with a (European) authors right is that kind of right. So
indeed moral rights could be abolished without problems withe the protection
of property (in the above sense). But I believe, if any aspect of author's
right shoulod be preserved, it is the moral right.
But the  essence imho is that there are much better options. That also work
for the present copyrights - that still last for 70 years after the death of
the present authorrs - well into the 22nd century. Unless they are
expropriated - but that requires a fair compensation, amounting to sums well
above the sums currently paid to stabilise the financial system, and to save
the economy in general!