[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Sun Dec 28 11:02:58 CET 2008

Hi Ole,
The confusion is simple. The term "intellectual property" is WRONG - as is
recognised by legal scholars. Some even argue it is a deliberate lie.
But "property rights" are something else (Vermögensrechte in German - a
perhaps less confusing concept).
The essence is that in a (decent) society the government should protect
(transferable) object that represent a monetary value - otherwise trade
would be impossible. As I just explained in another note, conceivably  a
right may be considered NOT transferable. Actually copyright is not
according to German law - but licences have the same effect.
Domain names are an interesting test case for law. Some years ago I wrote an
article in a (Ducth legal magazine) that domain names should not be
transferable. Else names like "business.com" would become objects of trade.
The reality is that they actually are. And then there is no way back: if
someone paid > $1.000.000 for such a (generic) domain name, and perhaps used
as a pawn for a bank loan, the legislator can not take it away (without
compensation).