[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Sun Dec 28 18:28:55 CET 2008

The essence is that one can not take away a right from someone that represents a (monetary) value (well, there are exceptions, such as taxes and fines, see art. 1 of the first protocol to the ECHR). And I repeat: the European Court of Human Rights can enforce the ECHR. All Council of Europe member states participate, even Russia. Only Belarus does not participate - perhaps you could cooperate with president Lukachenko?

  :)

  Anyone who, while agreeing with UDHR, doesn't agree with ECHR -though would be observing it until and while modifying it-, would be compared by you to Lukachenko? I don't have exactly that part of ECHR in mind, however, in former mails I stated that in PIRATA we disagree with some formulas of ECHR, so I'm worried with your peculiar comparisons ...

  Uh, the present debate is not a bout a conflict between the UDHR and the ECHR, as far as I can see. Again, please distinguish between recognising rights and respecting rights. The UDHR provision you referred to earlier is about recognising rights. The ECHR provision I quoted is about respecting rights. Obviously, respecting a right is not an issue if the right is not recognised.

  reinier