[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Mon Dec 29 12:34:24 CET 2008

Am Monday 29 December 2008 11:23:27 schrieb Richard M Stallman:
> So if the constitution is changed, as I suggested above, that judgment
> may change.  Thus, I think you have been too quick to give up.
The problem here is that - as Reinier already said - article 14 is among the
basic rights which are protected from being changed through article 19.
Furthermore there is no definition of what is considered property and what
not. It just says "Property and right of succession are guaranteed."
> I am glad you think the goal is possible.  What is the method you propose?
Accepting the status of authors' rights (the moral rights) as property while
denying that something like "intellectual property" exists. When we are in
the position to do the changes we want to do, talk to lawyers, especially
those who were constitutional judges earlier to find the best way to do it.
There are three ways from my point of view and at least one of them should be
possible.

1.Change the term for all works
2.Change the term only for new works
3.Keep the term for the authors' rights at lifetime +70 but establish a new
term for the commercial exploitation rights so that they expire much earlier.

But the most important thing is: never giving up. There's alway a way. It will
be hard enough anyway since we have to solve the TRIPS and European union
problems first.

regards
Helmut