[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Mon Dec 29 17:12:39 CET 2008

> The term "intellectual property" was used for a long time in France
> and Spain to refer to copyright and only copyright.  The broader
> definition that WIPO uses (which is inconsistent with that) is new.
>
> I have asked people at universities to check past law school catalogs
> to see when the term first appeared there.  I have only got a few
> interesting to get more responses.

The important moment is when "intellectual property" started to be used as a
*legal* concept - which is very recent: in IPRED1/2, and in the (still not
adopted) European Constitution, aka Lisbon Treaty. Before, it wasloosely
used as a generic concept - actually acknowledging that legal protection is
the exception to the rule of freedom of information.

Ergo: the European commission screwed it up - ill advised by "helpful"
attorneys from Hollywood and Redmond Wa.

reinier