[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Tue Dec 30 00:06:28 CET 2008

> If you want to make an analogy with bars, here's the right way to do
> it.  Suppose the City of Berlin decides to forbid sale of alcohol.  (I
> am not in favor of such a prohibition.)  If this reduces the income of
> bar owners, should Berlin be required to "compensate" them?
>
> There are who people who argue that it should -- people who believe
> that business deserves to decide everything.  That right-wing proposal
> has been embodied in some Low Wage Treaties.

You are riight, this is a proper example. It is even topical, because of the
recent ban on smoking in bars (which is still very strict in NL, but has
been lifted for small bars in Germany). And it is difficult. The essence
imho is wehether the government has set certain (justified) expectations.
Could a bar owner expect the law to change? It was "in the air" for a long
time. The expectation with copyright is that it will be supported by law
until the end of the term. But I agree that one may have a different opinion
on thjose arguments. E.g. could one expect the copyright not to last the
full life+70 years, due to PP and RMS activism?

reinier
And it is difficult.