[pp.int.general] FRA Warning

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Wed Dec 31 05:03:26 CET 2008

Just a reminder:

On January 1, 2009, the FRA-law (Lex Orwell) comes into effect in
Sweden. This is the law that empowers the Swedish National Defense
Radio Establishment (Försvarets Radio-anstalt / FRA) to intercept any
and all international communications based on "advanced search terms".

This means that any and all list traffic passing through Sweden -- or,
indeed, any mailing list with at least one member having an e-mail
path that passes through Sweden, even if only in transit -- may be
intercepted and potentially monitored by the Swedish National Defense
Radio Establishment.

As for this mailing list, you can be absolutely certain that traffic
passes internationally across Swedish borders, especially since the
list server itself is hosted by the Swedish Pirate Party in Sweden.
Therefore, all list traffic is subject to FRA interception.

This is of special concern especially for those that merely monitor
this mailing list -- either via the archives or through a
subscription. The subscriber list would normally not be available to
anyone except the list and system administrators. If any lurkers on
this mailing list do not wish to be subject to identification by the
FRA, they should unsubscribe now. This also applies to anyone
uncomfortable with their list traffic passing through FRA's automatic
traffic filters.

I wish you a happy new year despite the circumstances. This might be
the last happy new year's wishes we can send without passing through
FRA's filtering system for a while, and we in the Swedish Pirate Party
look forward to the year when we can again send new year's wishes
without having to be subject to legalized warrantless mass-wiretapping
by the Swedish state.

--
Per von Zweigbergk <per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se>
Swedish Pirate Party Technical Operations Group

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.