[pp.int.general] The Songwriters Association of Canada endorsesfilesharing legalization

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) rick at piratpartiet.se
Sat Jan 5 01:31:01 CET 2008

It's interesting that they are changing tone. Otherwise, a levy for
musicians is not the answer.

First, the proposal fails to answer the most basic question:

WHO is going to be compensated FOR WHAT and WHY?

Second, if they should get this benefit of taxing the public, don't expect
moviemakers, porno filmers, mp3 books etc. to stand far behind in line. They
have assumed that everybody could pay $5 a month, but are not seeing the
bigger picture of more people wanting a slice of that pie, should it prove
to exist.

I see a bunch of people saying "We are starting to understand that the world
has changed. But we still like money. Therefore, in order to make sure we
get money, we would like the ability to tax the public."