[pp.int.general] You have GOT to check this out

Jan Huwald jh at sotun.de
Sat Jan 19 21:57:53 CET 2008

Am Samstag, 19. Januar 2008 21:07:13 schrieb Carlos Ayala:
> So how would a tax on advertisements be compatible with Civil Law, if the
> ones who would pay the tax wouldn't be the ones who share the copyrighted
> works?

The rationale was in no way an exchange for potential loss caused by sharing
files [in english language this sounds even more dumb]. Instead it only
referred to pollution of information space and creating culture as
counter-measure.

> > The question again (as you said, Jan), is one of whom the money goes
>
>  to, how much is going, and how it is paid. Simply
>
> > paying a tax would worsen the problem, rather than bettering it. The big
> > companies would gladly pay a tax to be able to propagandize at will,
> > since they already
>
>  control the lobbies. A tax would offer them more freedom to propagandize,
>
> > not less. They have virtually unlimited amounts of money with which to
> > accomplish their aims. However, money is not really important where the
> > ability to remain free. The issue is not as much one of who gets paid
>
> I also agree with this one, Ray. Recently in France -Valentin can confirm
> it- Sarkozy proposed to create a tax on private media advertisements, in
> exchange of removing advertisements from public TV. Obviously -as
> themselves have stated- private media are largely cheerful, because while
> they will have to give up a share of the ad thing to the State, they will
> own the whole ad thing. Did I mention that Sarko also proposed to create a
> tax for that purpose -removing ads from public TV- ... on internet
> companies -who will probably add those taxes to internet connections-?
> Regards

Basic Rethoric Manual, Rule #1: don't criticize your opponent, instead argue
against a much dumber copy his ideas :-)

In general Sarkozy (as far as I have read!) cared more for details of the
distribution than for the moneys collection and I think he did not care much
about ads on public TV but only used it as a public vehicle.

Regards,
Jan