[pp.int.general] Richard Stallman's interview

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) rick at piratpartiet.se
Mon Jan 21 13:13:41 CET 2008

We discussed RMS' desire at length and found it had two basic flaws:

1) Creating an arbitrary division between software and non-software is
no longer possible or realistic in the age of electronic music. Remember
that RMS has a software-only perspective on copyright; ours needs to be
a culture-and-knowledge perspective.

2) Creating an arbitrary division between source code and non-source
code is no longer possible, especially in the age of .Net and Java where
you can regenerate the original source on the fly from binaries. If you
were to require companies to submit source code in a certain language,
when they did not WANT to do so, you would get the most obfuscated
horror imaginable that would be way worse than a first-stage automated
decompile of the binary, but still fulfills the technical demand of
being in that certain language and compiling to that exact binary.

The only thing RMS' proposal would accomplish is a taxpayer-funded
repository of illegible, obfuscated good-for-nothing code and a payroll
to administer it.

Rick