[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto Reloaded

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 15:29:28 CEST 2008

El Jueves 03 Julio 2008, Anton Tamminen escribió:
> Eduardo Robles Elvira wrote:
> >> Please note that if we are outside any group, we do not get seats in the
> >> parliamentarian commitees. And it is in these commitees most of the
> >> important decisions are taken. Also, by being in a group we get funding
> >> for staff.
> >
> > Well it's the price of freedom.
>
> If we intentionally leave ourselves outside the groups and thus
> parliamentary committees, we do not pay a price for freedom. We pay a
> price for stubbornness, which may cost us our freedom.

This point has already been discussed a lot. In the short term, it might seems
so. But long-term is even more important. If we join a group, and vote like
that group 99% of the times, people will end up voting the original parties
from that group intead. And it's worse: people who agree with PPI's core
issues but not with the group we joined, then we might be even losing votes
in the first place.

> > You might have a choice, but PIRATA doesn't have one. Our statutes say we
> > will abstain in non-core issues and thus it doesn't make sense joining
> > any group other than then the independent group.
>
> I don't see why you adopt statues that say you can't co-operate. It
> doesn't seem like a very helpful  strategy in politics.

As Felix has just explained, we want to remain neutral, so we would directly
ask the people what do the want us to vote in non-core issues. Remember the
liquid-democracy thing?

depends on the unreasonable man." (George Bernard Shaw)