[pp.int.general] Collecting signatures for 2009 European Election, and other requirements

Jakub Laskowski jakubl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 21:17:39 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Ole Husgaard <pirat at sparre.dk> wrote:

> Carlos Ayala skrev:
>> In today's Pirate Manifesto session, Partia Piratow representative told that in Poland 100.000!!! signatures are required,
> To be fair, only 5000 signatures are needed to run for elections. Poland
> is divided into about 40 election districts, and you need 5000
> signatures in a district to participate in elections in that district.
> If you have your 5000 signatures in more than half the districts, you
> can participate in elections in all districts.

That's right for local parliament elections, but for EU parliament
situation is slightly different. There are only 13 districts, and we
need 10 000 signatures in each district. If we collect signatures in 7
districts, we can participate in elections in whole country. Like in
Denmark, signer also has to put his full name, address and SSN.
Furthermore, we can't start collecting signatures before elections are
announced by our president (I'm not sure, but Blazej told me that - I
guess he knows that issue much better than me), and we have to collect
all signatures 40 days before elections, so we have only 50 days to do
it.

In my opinion, it's just impossible to collect all this signatures in
such short period, and Poland probably won't be able to run for 2009
EU parliament elections.

--
Jakub Laskowski
jakubl at 4me.pl