[pp.int.general] Political Party X (was: Uppsala Declaration)

Anton Tamminen anton.tamminen at piraattipuolue.fi
Mon Jun 30 13:59:24 CEST 2008

This EP group topic is apparently a matter that requires more elaborate
discussion, perhaps not very suitable for this mailing list. It is good
that people reacted on this, because it shows that there is disagreement
we need to work on. Amelia and Carlos both have points albeit from
different perspectives which to me seem geo-political, and I think this
discussion can't continue in a constructive manner until we evaluate the
technicialities of the European Parliament in a more elaborate way,
preferably in a larger group, as well as consider the differences
between the national politics in different countries. During the
conference, I was surprised of the multitude of such differences within
the EU. My impression is that Swedish national politics work differently
than for eg. Finnish or Spanish, so we need to consider things from a
broader perspective.

About the other propositions to the document that were presented: During
the conference, I tried to retain a more deletionist than inclusionist
stance, to make sure the document would not be in conflict with possible
local issues and interpretations, and I think most of us followed the
same rule.

Although I am uncertain of the exact motives of the Swedish Pirate Party
on this 'declaration', I personally don't think it should be given that
much weight. I view it as a means of getting media attention, at most.

--
Anton Tamminen
International Secretary, Member of the Board