[pp.int.general] [Cafe] levies

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 22:58:00 CET 2008

On 24/03/2008, Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl> wrote:
> > On 24/03/2008, Carlos Ayala <aiarakoa at yahoo.es> wrote:>
>  >> If we reach Strasbourg -and I believe we can, though it's an obviously
>  >> hard
>  >> goal to achieve-, what are we going to do there?
*cut*
>  > But when
>  > the Pirate Parties are in the parliament, one of the long term goals
>  > should be complete reformation of all the current directives treating
>  > copyright.
*cut*

> Don't confuse long term and short term goals! There is a tight system of
>  international treaties (notably the WTO "TRIPS" Agreement) that severely
>  curtails the freedom to adopt essentially new copyright legislation on the
>  short term.
>
>  Having said that, it would be a major break-through to politicise the
>  "information freedom" debate and remove it from its current technocratic
>  lobbyist dominated backwater status.

This is why I said all those things about levies. They're getting more
ground in Sweden now, the levies. I think a lot could be gained from
"winning" that debate round by saying it might be OK to compensate for
the loss of control, rather than for the private copying. That is,
make the levies into something they're currently not (rhetorical twist
or whatever).

>  And don't underestimate the power of the European Parliament. They rejected
>  the software patent directive. Perhaps the lack of organisation of the EP is
>  more serious than its lack of competence. PP knowledge would be very helpful
>  in the EP.

Oh! What a positive view of the EP :)

I'm not entirely up-to-speed with what the EP actually does or how.
The co-decision procedure gives the impression of being... erratic at
best. And that's the one that gives the parliament the *most* power.
It does lighten my mood a bit to hear you say that though.

/amelia