[pp.int.general] levies consultation

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sat Mar 29 14:23:10 CET 2008

> Is there any reason to find not desirable to answer all the questions, apart from RMOs being utterly surprised? If you're willing to, I may send > you a report about actions from Spanish RMOs and also about opacity regarding levies in Spain -and also may Valentin (reporting about
> SACEM) and other PPI folks do the same with their national levies issues- to let you see why we shouldn't care if RMOs become disgusted > with our inquiries.

yes, there is more than one reason:
1. time: only three weeks are left and imho the priority would be to write an excellent "strategy" paper that - at last - clarifies the copyright paradox. Also: the situation in all member states is different (that is why the Commission thinks about harmonising), so the "facts" effort must be made member state by member state, which is well beyond our reach.

2. need: the quoted Commission website itself says that not all respondents must answer all questions

The example you give is a tricky one: if you say you are not aware of whatever, then you must be pretty sure that not perhaps indeed it happened outside your scope. Then you only demonstrate you lack knowledge.

Reinier