[pp.int.general] stop about the EU Constitution!

Ole Husgaard osh at procard.dk
Thu May 1 16:49:39 CEST 2008

Valentin Villenave wrote:
>>  On 23/04/2008, Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > I THINK THE PP SHOULD REFRAIN FROM TAKING A POSITION ABOUT THE EU
>>  > CONSTITUTION OR LISBON TREATY.
>>

> Without regarding the treaty as "evil", I think "democratic deficit"
> is exactly why we should care about the Lisbon treaty. Look: in
> France, a large majority of the *people* voted against the first
> treaty in 2005, and yet today our parliament has chosen to adopt a new
> treaty which is merely nothing else but a copy of the former one!

Yes, in Denmark we were also supposed to vote on the "constitution"
treaty, but the vote was cancelled. Now our government has decided that
we should not vote, with the explanation that they do not think the
Lisbon treaty means that the member countries have to give up
soverenity. The real reason is probably that our population would reject
the treaty. I really like the idea of the European Union, in particular
the inner market and the common currency. But I think the EU is
currently structured in a way that makes it too easy to abuse the
system, and there is too little democratic control. Also, I think the EU
is sometimes trying to move too fast. For example I have voted "no"
three times for Denmark to participate in the common currency (yes,
there seems to be a new popular vote every time the polls indicate a
"yes" vote), on the grounds that the inner market needs more time to
converge our economies first, to avoid social unrest in case of economic
depression.

But: The pirate parties are neither for nor against the EU, so what I
wrote above isn't really relevant. We have to acknowledge that the EU is
here. From there we can point out what we like and dislike about it (and
changes like the Lisbon treaty) from a pirate point of view.

I think this is important to do, and this is why I think this discussion
is good. But we should not start out with discussing if we are for or
against Lisbon - that would be the conclusion. First we have to discuss
the various changes, and if we like or dislike them. I think there are
both changes that we like (like more power to the EU Parliament) and
dislike (like protection of "intellectual property"). After having
discussed and agreed on the various changes, we might agree to a
conclusion on whether we are for or against the Lisbon treaty.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.