[pp.int.general] urgent: data retention and downloading

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) rick at piratpartiet.se
Sat May 17 16:47:55 CEST 2008

The best data for a response, I believe, would come from IFPI Sweden's
response to the Swedish Justice Department about the Swedish
implementation proposal on the Data Retention Directive.

Highlights:

...an implementation of this directive constitutes an important
foundation and prerequisite for IFPI's further work in taking action
against those who infringe on our rightsholders' rights on the Internet...

...IFPI considers it important that the implementation... is done in
such a way that copyright holders are given access to... traffic data...

...If technical innovation would make it possible to circumvent data
retention or make it impossible, this would potentially cause great harm
to copyright holders. ...

...It shall be possible for law enforcement and for rightsholders to act
judicially against a party that infringes on rights, even when this
happens on the Internet... (/remember now, the context is a data
retention directive comment/)

...To fight illegal activity on the Internet, through criminal and civil
sanctions, it is therefore a necessity that some traffic data be
retained. In the case of a too restrictive regulation of data retention,
there is a real risk of a situation where where numerous illegal acts
cannot be mitigated.

See http://www.frendo.se/ifpi080320.html. Google can translate the rest
of the text. My translations are from my printout of the PDF (with lots
of red markings on it).

Rick