[pp.int.general] More bad news from Denmark

Ole Husgaard pirat at sparre.dk
Sat May 24 10:31:23 CEST 2008

Hi,

Bad just got worse. No danish media have mentioned the proposal to
create a government tribunal to censor the net. TorrentFreak wrote about
it: http://torrentfreak.com/danish-copyright-censorship-proposal-080517/

Because the proposal clearly is unconstitutional, a concerned citizen
wrote to the Chairman of our parliament. Now the Chairman has replied,
and I have attached his reply (in danish).

"If a law proposal is unconstitutional, I shall as Chairman of the
Parliament reject it. The rules of our Parliament say so", the Chairman
writes,  and continues: "A similar rule does not exist for proposed
parliamentary decisions, as a parliamentary decision does not by itself
have effect on citizens and other private people."

So it looks like the copyright lobby has found a way to get this
unconstitutional censorship through parliament without even testing if
it is unconstitutional.

As I guessed this proposed parliamentary decision is about to go through
our parliament quickly, before anybody notices what it is about. Unlike
a law proposal where we have three readings in Parliament (and a lot of
work done between the readings), a parliamentary decision only have two
readings. The first reading is scheduled for next wednesday (it is
extremely rare that the first reading comes just 20 days after the
proposal), and currently it looks like it will pass without much debate.

A blogger has a longer analysis (in danish): http://www.denmarkonline.dk/sf-og-socialdemokraterne-foreslar-indforelse-af-censur-hjemmesider-200821

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.

P.S: If you see this mail on the list, the problem with DNS
malconfiguration causing some mails to the list to bounce is fixed for
me.