[pp.int.general] WHOA now - everyone, stop for a minute

Andrew Norton andrew.norton at pirate-party.us
Wed Nov 12 00:20:48 CET 2008

Everyone, stop, take a breath, and do NOT click reply to this or any
other mails that have been on the list, at least for the next little while.

We have a profusion of effort on this list, debating technicalities,
semantics, irrelevencies, and definitions. None of it is needed, or
desired. We need to start working together.

Part of this comes from a lack of communication. In the last hour, I've
had two party chairpersons expressing frustration with the attitude and
activity of the list.

We have huge amounts of effort put into some 70+ emails, that could
better have been put elsewhere, and what is the result of all those
emails (and the time taken to read them)? Nothing, except anger and
irritation at each other. It is almost as if someone was trying to
disrupt efforts, and you know what, it's been successful.

I have to also say, that if it wasn't for the fact this is via email,
I'd think it was my 4yo and 6yo kids squabbling. To be honest, you all
should be lucky I'm thousands of miles from almost all of you, because
there's some that I feel need a right good kick up the arse. We need to
get on track, on program, and all going in the same direction.

I wlll also say this, igh now, I feel like I'm trying to herd cats. It's
hard trying to work on moving forward, if we're all determined to go our
own way, and our way is the right way. As I said yesterday, our goal
over the next 6 months is not just 'Europarl seats' it's seats across a
number of countries. That means not just thinking of your own country,
but of all the others. It's not easy, and if anyone thinks they're not
up to that challenge, of thinking beyond themselves to think of their
compatriots, then let me know - either publicly on here, or privately
some other way - so that I can find someone else in your party to work
with to achieve the goal we have, and to not bother contacting you if I
need something from your party. Thats what it comes down to, and if you
can't do it, there's no shame, not many can. I think we have a smart and
intellectually honest group here, that is not afraid to recognise and
accept their own flaws and limitations. Much as there is a step up in
difficulty from local to regional politics, and from regional to
national, there is the biggest step up when it comes to international.
Mostly because you're then dealing with people NOT like you, that you
may not be able to relate to, or even speak to easily.

Again, if you're not up to it, there's no shame, or problem. National
politics is as important, if not moreso than international, and if your
talent is there, great. I've chaired a national party for close to 18
months, and I admit thats not where my talent lies. Maybe its because
after 5 1/2 years of living here, and working here on and off for 4
years before that, I still can't relate fully to them in the way a
national party chair can, or should. It's no surprise that my first
position in the USPP was as the international coordinator (although that
might be down to the truth of the old joke - What do you call someone in
America that can speak a language other than english? A Mexican!)

Finally, another part of the problem is this - half the comments today
came from people I don't know. People haven't been including their party
names, or positions in their emails, especially those that are writing
from non-party addresses. It's hard to know then if you speak for
yourself, or for a party. Please people, add your party name, and
position at the end of your email, and if you are NOT speaking on behalf
of the party, make that clear there also.

Thank you

Andrew Norton
PPI coordinator
speaking on behalf of myself, since there really isn't a formal PPI yet.