[pp.int.general] Working for EU elections

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Sun Nov 16 19:43:44 CET 2008

De: Carlos Ayala <aiarakoa at yahoo.es>
Enviado: viernes, 14 de noviembre, 2008 13:43:03
De: Jens Seipenbusch <seipenbusch at web.de>

Enviado: viernes, 14 de noviembre, 2008 12:12:37
> > This severly challenges the calculation of 19by5 which we made in Uppsala, where i wasnt sure,
> > if that was the fact or not
> It's not the fact anymore.
>
> Few months ago it was changed to eliminate 1 or 2 of the current 7 parliamentary groups, so
> formerly it was a fifth (5 out of 25) and now it's a fourth (7 out of 27) the required amount of
> countries where a party/party coalition must have representatives in order to create a group; also, > required MPs are increased from 19 to 25. These changes were rejected by all minoritary groups (5
> out of 7), only being supported by EPP-ED and PES -I say only with italic as they together have the
> vast majority of MEPs-; thus, the changes were passed by the European Parliament.

I've updated the wiki page with the current status:

- indicating that, while 19:5 was applied for a 25 Member States UE (UE-25), now
that we are UE-27 and until June 2009, one fifth of Member States and
2'5 % of MEPs means 6 Member States and 20 MEPs

- indicating the rules for next term (2009-2014): 25 MEPs (3'33 %) from 7 different Member States (one fourth)

Regards,

                                                                      Carlos Ayala
                                                                      ( Aiarakoa )

                                                Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman