[pp.int.general] Fwd: World Day Against Software Patents (24September): Call now open for signatures

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Wed Oct 1 16:41:06 CEST 2008

> Hey, I don't know if you guys have heard about it, but the EPO has
> been on strike to denounce patent abuses:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/25/epo_staff_strike/

The striking point of this strike is that EPO Staff is under pressure to
deliver as many patents as possible because of the fees - and probably the
EPO is under pression from the national patent offfices, who get a share of
the "revenue" (and who sit on its administrative council), and need the
money.

The mistake is that EPO *and* national patent offices are directly funded
from the triffs they charge to the patent owners. While this is official (as
agreed in the EPC), it is crazy: a government authority should never be
directly dependent on the money they "make". Unfortunately the US is the bad
example: they did it correctly, but converted to a system similar to the
European system in the early 1990s.

reinier