[pp.int.general] EU consultation on future EU security, justice and freedom issues

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Oct 9 09:57:53 CEST 2008

> This is an EU consultation I believe PPI should try to formulate an answer
> to:
>
> http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/news/consulting_public/news_consulting_0001_en.htm
> <http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/news/consulting_public/news_consulting_0001_en.htm>
>
> Its title is ""Freedom, Security and Justice: What will be the
> future?", consultation on priorities for the next five years
> (2010-2014)"
>
> deadline is November 20, 2008.

Thanks for the hint. I have read the questionaire. Interesting! Some
observations:
- The field is very broad, not very connected to PP core issues
- Questions often appear to be rhetoric, the answers seem to be obvious
- Because of that, answering is *apparently* easy - but imho actually very
tricky (like: "do you think that punishments in all EU member states for
drugs dealers should be the same?" and: "Should the EU do more to fight
terrorism?"

Who prepares a draft answer?

I believe a straightforward answer to the questions (just 8 pages) only
takes a few hours. But the PP is not on earth to say "yes, we support the
effective prosecution of crimes." Still, saying the opposite appears
unacceptable. Which makes it complicated in the end to give a *meaningful*
reaction. It seems absolutely necessary to add explanatory text. Still, the
Commission may compile all answers in a spreadsheet that does not allow
explanations to be taken into account ....

reinier