[pp.int.general] Terrorism, and you

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 21:48:08 CEST 2008

2008/9/12 Valentin Villenave <v.villenave at gmail.com>:
> 2008/9/12 Amelia Andersdotter <teirdes at gmail.com>:
>> For Europe that'd be pretty nifty anyway.
>
> Frankly, I fully share Glenn's "cry for awareness". Except that such
> things don't make us want to be "nifty" anymore, Amelia:  we're just
> pissed. Desperate and pissed.

A cry for awareness rarely strikes well if we come across as alarmist.
We could probably argue about whether "nifty" is a good choice of
words but..

We've had a huge debate about a surveillance law, the FRA-law, in
Sweden (all media, citizens, online, everywhere) since mid-June. But a
big difference between that and the detrimental Bush-regime, the
equally unholy Berlusconi+Frattini alliance in Italy, the
commissioners in Brussels and internal French politics is that it's
local, Swedish, and close to the Swedish citizens and what they know.
International issues are in many ways still left mostly for the most
active activists. And frankly, who can blame people for not caring?
The EU bureaucracy alone spits out thousands of documents everyday.
You can limit it to the tens if you focus only on pirate issues, but
most people aren't willing to focus all their energy on just pirate
political stuff. On top of that, US, WTO, G8, UN....

Popularising the issues, making them "nifty", may have a better chance
of getting them to the people. Just look at the TPB: they basically
got very famous for sending clever responses to rude lawyers, and 4
years later they're definitely a force to be counted on.

It would be really great if we could have a joined European Pirate
front represented at the European Social Forum 2008 next week in
Malmö, Sweden. I know of no bigger pan-European event taking place
prior to the Europarl elections next year. If coming there isn't
possible, you still have a chance to make an a5-flyer about what your
local Pirate Parties do and want to achieve. If you forward them to me
I'll try to get them printed on time, but because there's a severe
lack of time I can no longer make guarantees.

/amelia