[pp.int.general] Free Software or Open Source?

Wybo Wiersma wybo at logilogi.org
Thu Sep 18 23:53:19 CEST 2008

I fully subscribe to this, ultimately Freedom is the most important
issue here, not code that is open to many eyeballs. And not because of
anti-business sentiments, but because the free market also thrives best
for society as a whole with freedom.

Wybo

PS: And don't use Skype, there are alternatives like Ekiga Softphone :)

> Hi folk,
>
> I think Stallman has appointed a very important question. In Brazil (and
> maybe in all South America) we use mainly the term "free software"
> because of the political implications of FREEDOM. I see "open source" as
> a term of the "business world". I suggest for all "pirates" to use
> always the term "free software" ir order to have a coherent and
> progressive political discourse. We cannot forget that the central point
> is not just the code, but the freedom!
>
> All the best,
>
> Jorge
> Brazil

---

::Student:
- Informatiekunde (computer linguistics, IR, webtech), History and Philosophy
- Member of the Center for Metahistory Groningen (http://www.rug.nl/let/cmg)

::Free Software and Open Source Developer:
- Active in the LogiLogi Foundation (http://foundation.logilogi.org)
- http://www.LogiLogi.org, Cumulative, shared commenting, publication and
                           idea sharing: Where insight comes together...
- http://www.OgOg.org, RSS feed articles rating, a meritocracy...
- ComLinToo, a computational linguistics toolset written in Perl