[pp.int.general] youth organisation founded in Germany and some more

Anton Tamminen anton.tamminen at piraattipuolue.fi
Mon Apr 20 08:43:02 CEST 2009

Helmut Pozimski wrote:
> But of course there is always also bad news. On Friday, five of the big ISPs
> in Germany signed a contract with the federal government to block access to
> sites which contain child porn. This means that these ISPs are now obligated
> to block access to sites based on a secret list created by the BKA.
> (Bundeskriminalamt, more or less the German FBI) This is the first time the
> internet is being censored in Germany on such a large scale. Now there is the
> plan to create a law to force the other ISPs to do the same. Some politicians
> already stated earlier that they want to extend the censorship to sites with
> games of chance, violent games and more things. Up to now, the access will be
> blocked by manipulating the DNS-servers of the ISPs which can easily be
> circumvented.
This is pretty much exactly what happened in Finland a few years ago,
which culminated in a blog (sensuuri.info) (lit. censorship.info)
criticizing the censorship being censored in early 2007 following the
site admin published a list of censored sites he had figured out by
using a web spider. This spawned outrage in the Internet crowd and there
was a large demonstration (in Finnish scale) (in the organization of
which I was involved,) against the censorship. Activists and researchers
on many fronts have essentially been successful in turning the web
censorship system in place into something few politicians any longer
dare to endorse publicly.

I reviewed some of the list material at random( some reporting at
http://public.freenerd.org/pub/docs/lapsiporno/ ), and found that about
80-95% of the sites censored contained either legal "teen" or gay
pornography or had no pornographic content whatsoever. In approximately
5% there were potential depictions of underage subjects, but few of
these sites were actual porn sites, but instead were computer generated
"circle jerk" thumbnail gallery posts (sites that exist merely for the
purpose of collecting ad revenue through links to other sites, that in
turn do the same).

-Dragu