[pp.int.general] Pirate Bay

Glenn Kerbein glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us
Mon Apr 20 17:43:12 CEST 2009

Reinier,
	What would be the purpose, and desirable result that you want to get
through this letter? Perhaps attacking such a minuscule issue with a
strongly-worded letter would be overtly excessive.
	My thoughts on the issue, it seems, is the application of the phrase
"illegal downloading." It stems from copyright infringement on a smaller
scale, within the purview of civil litigation or courts. Copyright
infringement is illegal; this applies for most jurisdictions and
countries. When a user downloads a film, per se, they are engaging in
copyright infringement, an illegal act. They are illegally infringing on
copyright, or, in simpler terms, illegally downloading.
	Now, when you do write the letter, make sure that you pick a subject to
focus on, and attack it; this isn't a Senate filibuster. Using a slurry
of misguided thoughts  makes your letter sound like my confused essay
writing. It wouldn't be prudent to discuss music distribution models
when the issue at hand is regarding terminology. Apparently here, the
issue is about a website known as "The Pirate Bay", try to keep it as such.

	I'd like to have a general discussion about the virtues and vices about
music, but I don't think that it's relevant at this time.

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> In the aftermath of last weeks Pirate Bay decision, I read a lot of
> articles about "illegal DOWNloading", even in the "quality newspaper" I
> am subscribed to. I thino of writing them a letter. What are the right
> arguments?
>
> * downloading is not illegal in most European countries
> * the true victims are the record companies who have lost their reason
> for existence since the advent of (broadband) internet, and they are not
> prepared to gove up, even though tey deliver a (distribution)
> service that no onle needs (like currecy exchange offices in the Euro-era)
> * making records (and books) nowadays is very cheap - artists can do it
> themsevles, besides, they usually get unfavorable contracts from mighty
> record companies
> * file sharing is so pervasive that enforcement risks credibility,
> unless it is so tough that it violates human rights principles
> * credibility is further jeopardised by the general perception that
> record companies are overly greedy
> + plus by the couter-intuitive system of copyright that requires me to
> pay even if I copy my own old-fashioned legally obtained CDs
> * levy system already compensate for private copies (whether you like
> levy systems is something else)
> * most legislation is EU legislation, and the EU commission has already
> shown to be very susceptible to corporate lobbyists, and to ignore
> academic advice completely.
>
> reinier

Glenn "Channel6" Kerbein
Pirate Party of the United States