[pp.int.general] Stallman's escrow for works other than software source code

Glenn Kerbein glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us
Wed Aug 12 06:49:30 CEST 2009

Twenty years? Consider your country lucky.
In the states, it's life of the author + 70 years. When "Alice In
Wonderland" (the modern film) enters the public domain, it will be
sometime next century. I guess 2119, assuming that everyone in the film
dies in 2049.

Felipe Sanches wrote:
> I agree with Richard Stallman when he talks about the duality of
> computer software (compiled binaries versus source code) and its
> problematic treatment in copyright laws: we need to guarantee public
> domain effectiveness for software. We cant simply allow its source code
> to be forever kept as secret while users are subjected to proprietary
> binaries (which are hardly modifiable in a pratical manner) even after
> the binaries have fallen into the public domain. An escrow proposal was
> made by rms but we are still unsure about what would be the best
> approach to solve that issue.
>
> I'd like to raise awareness to a similar duality: multimedia
> productions. Wouldnt it make sense for us to seek guarantees that
> production files will be available when a movie falls into public
> domain? It would certainly make derivative creative works easier to
> produce without the need of recreating the whole thing from scratch.
>
> Think about the open movies we've seen recently: i. e. "Elephants
> Dream", or "Big Buck Bunny".
> The creators of these movies have voluntarily released their "source
> code". Wouldn't we want to have similar access to the production files
> of Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" in 2020, ten years after the
> release of the movie? Or would we be satisfied with solely a legalized
> high definition public domain copy of it in 2020?
>
> Felipe "Juca" Sanches
> Inkscape.org developer / FSF member / Brazilian Pirate Party

Glenn "Channel6" Kerbein
United States Pirate Party
"Burn, Hollywood, Burn"