[pp.int.general] Commercial use of functional works

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 07:25:10 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> The problem as expressed in the subject line includes a different one:
> what is a "functional work"?
I rather agree with the point that this question is much more
interesting and ambiguous than the definition of "commercial".
IMO this distinction is quite overrated. A software is "used" for
"practical purposes", but likewise a picture used for illustrating an
article or a song used partially for making a soundtrack can be said to
be "used" for "practical purposes" rather than "distributed". In that
sense I oppose the division into "functional works" and "non-functional
works", but consider author's rights protections for use in commercial
activity to apply to both "use" and "distribution" (like many software
licenses "for personal use only" do).
> This notion does not really belong in the (traditional) copyright
> system: it is a "Fremdkörper", a clear case of "scope creep" where PPI
> should definitely oppose against. Copyright is about *publication* and
> *multiplication*, not about *use* (function).
That's why I prefer talking about the more general European notion of
"author's rights" rather than about copyright:)

Best regards,
Boris