[pp.int.general] Microsoft Drafts Consumers In Fight Against Software Piracy: Carrot And Stick

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 18:18:20 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 11:59 AM, coretx <coretx at piratenpartij.nl> wrote:

>> It's statements like this that undermine Open Source. It sounds
>> bitter, and derogatory. Windows is just as innovative as any linux
>> system.
>
> Factually wrong.
>
>> What Windows has over Linux (generally) is usability.
>
> Linux is a Kernel.
> Windows is a Kernel + loads of other apps, including a GUI.
>

>> Almost
>> every linux is still written by coders for coders.
>
> Are we talking distro's now ?
>
>> I have been
>> dabbling with linux for almost 10 years (when I first got unlimited
>> dialup, the first thing I grabbed was redhat 6.1 (I'd just built a new
>> dual-cpu system, and no windows license I had at the time supported 2
>> cpus) after 3 weeks, I went and put win98 on and made do with only
>> using one CPU, because even then, it was faster to do things, while I
>> waited for win2000 to come out.
>
> Because of what ? The GUI or the Kernel ?
> Back then, the performance difference of the linux kernel in comparison
> to the MS kernels, was even bigger.
>
>> Even now, I have ubuntu on here, and
>> it's horrible to work with. It's just not designed for intuitive use.
>
> It is what it is designed for.
>
> You not liking it is another story.
> Also, it has got to do nothing with "linux"
> But with Gnome. Considering you use the "default" Ubuntu.
>

>> I'm no windows fanboi,
>
> You sound like one :)
>
>> though, I much prefer the straight usability of
>> RiscOS (which I used as a teaching assistant for 7 years) or even
>> workbench to kde/gnome interfaces (and I started in the mid-80s, when
>> a lot of computers didn't *HAVE* a GUI).
>
> Ah, talking gnome /and/ KDE now ?
>

>> However, straight 'Microsoft's never innovative' just undermines you,
>> and every other statement you make in the same email, as fanatical.
>>

> Sorry Andrew, you comparing apples with pears, and with banana's

Ah, but see, you just made my point. It's such a plethora of confusing
terms and caveats, "it's not this, it's that" and "thats only this
bit, it's that bit" and THAT is what turns off consumers. You and
Valentin did exactly what I'd hoped someone would, and made my point
for me. and If I make such mistakes after 9 years (and 23 years in
general) what hope as someone starting out got when something goes
wrong and they go to try and get help, when this sort of email, and
the comments therein, is what they get.

This is why gnu/Linux won't, and hasn't outdone windows for consumer
level machines