[pp.int.general] An answer to RMS' critique of the PP.SE political programme

Ed Galligan ed.galligan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 19:03:53 CET 2009

While the points raised by RMS may be interesting enough, I don't really
think his concerns are as pressing as they are made out to be. His post
seems to assume the immediate application of PP's proposals to todays
systems and business models, while the way works are sold/distributed
remains at a status quo.

Anyone who things a reduction in copyright duration would happen overnight
is kidding themselves. The FSF has been working for a little over 20 years
now, a relatively short time, and the change in the software marketplace has
been truly astounding. There was no point where a switch was flicked and
everyone who is today involved in some way with free software changed their
respective outlooks and/or business models.

Let's not forget the actual motivation behind reducing copyright duration -
to think that radical change in how indivuals/organisations that currently
hold copyrights do business and distribute their content will not occur as a
gradual result of any inroads we make is short sighted, and yet the
arguments made by RMS are not being applied to a hypothetical future way of
doing things, but to todays way, as if it will remain static.

Edison Carter makes the most valid points in this thread sofar, in the very
first reply. RMS claims that a shorter copyright term will result in less
editable content being distributed, but in all likelihood those choosing to
reduce the distribution of such editable content will see their ability to
compete similarly reduced.