[pp.int.general] Microsoft Drafts Consumers In Fight AgainstSoftware Piracy: Carrot And Stick

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Mon Dec 7 19:50:32 CET 2009

> > I still believe that within a few years, there will be no Microsoft
> > anymore.
> > The firms is not innovative (probably never has been), and users don't
> > need
> > yet another Windows or Word version. So "selling" software is just a
> > matter
> > of law enforcement, a "fight" that justifies all means for MS,
> > apparently.
>
> It's statements like this that undermine Open Source. It sounds
> bitter, and derogatory. Windows is just as innovative as any linux
> system. What Windows has over Linux (generally) is usability. Almost

My comment was meant on a very different level. MS mainly produces operating
system and office software. From time to time it releases new versions, but
that's it basically. I must admit, I use MS software too. And I am *not*
interested in new versions. And I guess for many people it is the same. So
MS basically makes a business by forcing people to move to new versions,
typically because they are bundled with new hardware. And they make a
business by forcing people to move from "illegal" to "legal" versions -
which is where this thread started.

I don't contrast MS' innovativeness to FLOSS, but to Google. Google again
and again suprises the world by functionality people like. Making money by
fulfilling (hidden) needs is much more sympathetic to me than making money
by tight law enforcement and threatening people. Mafia lives from threats
too (No, I don't say MS *is* mafia ...)

The link to FLOSS was because I thought of stickers I saw some time ago
calling up people to "get legal" with their offoce software - and in the
small print it said: go to Open Office!

<start of new flame war>
Andrew, didn't I accuse you some time ago for being a MS troll? And now you
say that MS provides superior usability??
</start of new flame war>

reinier