[pp.int.general] Microsoft Drafts Consumers In FightAgainstSoftware Piracy: Carrot And Stick

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 23:21:35 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl> wrote:
> The issue (see subject line) was that MS by and large depends on forced
> sales:
> 1) because new computers are bundled with MS products

This is is though, you aren't FORCED to use it. And in almost every
country, you can get your refund back.

> 2) because of tight enforcement

Tight enforcement of what? By whom?

> Few people buy new MS products because they like new functionality. This
> business model can not last forever. Like Christian Engström once said: a
> dieing giant can cause a lot of damage. MS will ask for ever bloodier
> enforcement, and Bill Gates as the richest man on earth still is America's
> pride - Americans will protect their prodigy son.

'still' a bit off, he was 3rd in 08 according to Forbes, he's top this
year because he didn't lose as much as Warrent Buffet, and Carlos Slim
Helú (gates lost $18B, they each lost $25B)

> Criminal enforcement will be preferred
> 1) because the taxpayers pays
> 2) because MS is not directly involved: the police does the dirty work and
> MS can say: "it is the law"
> The end effect will be massive STATE TERRORISM (terrorism is defined i nthe
> Dutch crimonal code as behaviour intended to induce fear for [large] groups
> of citizens).

It's defined as such in US code too. We already have massive state
terrorism though, though it's called 'anti-terrorist activities'. Just
6 weeks after 9/11, I was working on a TV show, which was filmed on an
island you might best know from Cory's "Little Brother". At the time,
the bridges in the bay area were under 'imminent threat of attack" and
our studio was right next to the [middle of the] Bay bridge (we also
did the Richmond bridge in the morning, and the golden-gate at night
(was staying in Sausalito)

I saw an abandoned 2 1/2 ton truck sitting there for hours, even after
we notified the army units on our bridge exit. some 'imminent threat'

This is more of a pressing concern that some fear that MS might push
for criminal stuff at a later date. This is the cause of the massive
surveillance, the abandonment of accountability, the breaches of laws.
If you want to get worked up about possible domestic terrorism, get
worked up with that as the cause, not that Microsoft might push for
criminal enforcement of something or other.

It's why I weep for the UK. I lived through (and experienced
firsthand) the IRA bomb attacks. Then, a few years back, one attack in
the US, and out goes 20 years and ~2000 attacks worth of dealing with
things.