[pp.int.general] Microsoft Drafts Consumers InFightAgainstSoftware Piracy: Carrot And Stick

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 04:02:14 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl> wrote:
>> > The issue (see subject line) was that MS by and large depends on forced
>> > sales:
>> > 1) because new computers are bundled with MS products
>>
>> This is is though, you aren't FORCED to use it. And in almost every
>> country, you can get your refund back.
>
> The issue was not whether you are forced to USE it, but whether you are
> forced to PAY for it. And I never heard that you can get your money back if
> you buy e.g. a laptop bundled with Windows and say you don't use it. The
> vendor certainly has  no obligation to refund you after you bought the
> software. Anyway, a large part of MS sales comes from sw bundled with new
> computers.

Actually, Dell, HP etc. will refund. It's part of the contract, if you
decline the windows license, you can return to the vendor for a
purchase price. I spoke to one of the Swiss pirates and he told me he
was doing that just last week.

The first international Windows Refund day was in Feb 1999, here's
your local page - http://www.nl.linux.org/geldterug/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund

Plenty of info about it. It's in the contract MS has with the OEM
sales, they MUST refund it.

>> > 2) because of tight enforcement
>>
>> Tight enforcement of what? By whom?
>
> That is what this thread is about. See subject line.

 I read it. Mostly about resellers. That would be 'commercial
copyright infringement' I believe.

Andrew