[pp.int.general] Copenhagen, our turn to dive into

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Dec 16 00:16:43 CET 2009

>    If global warning is merely a conspiracy to boost the shareholder value
> =
>    of General Electric and other commercial firms,
>
> There is no evidence for such a conspiracy.

I heard of explicit concerns of developing countries that they are asked to
be supportive in fighting climate change - but fear to be presented a huge
bill afterwards - for patent licence fees.

Watch
(http://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/meetings/en/2009/ip_gc_ge/presentations/horton.pdf)
and listen
(http://www.wipo.int/meetings/en/2009/ip_gc_ge/mp3/13_pm_horton.mp3) to the
shameful presentation of Carl Horton, General Electric chief IP counsel.
(Remember GE was founded by Edison who was even more innovative in
litigation than in technology)

There is indeed a strange paradox that if people believe the climate
problem, it will help technology vendors, and if people don't, it helps oil
companies. Ironically, oil companies like Shell did some experiments with
diversification, but weren't very successful in that.

That reminds me of the insurance company that sold rain insurances tor
farmers at the same time as sunny weather insurances to organisers of open
air events! Bingo! (For Dutch readers: it was "De Twaalf Gewesten", a
subsidiary of Interpolis, now owned by RABO).

reinier