[pp.int.general] software patents

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Fri Dec 18 10:39:34 CET 2009

> <samir.allioui at pp-international.net> wrote:
>> Well, it is one of the 3 ingredients that makes a pirate party an pirate
>> party.
>> If this one is not excluded, you're nothing but a party who is (ab)using
>> strong brand.
You mean INcluded? I would say that the 3 ingredients are copyright, privacy
and patents.

> My point is, there's a learning curve -- including for ourselves, so
> that we know exactly what we're talking about and how to talk about
> it. The "reject *all* patents NOW immediately immediately or else it
> means you're not a responsible citizen/not a legit Pirate" approach,
> while ethically valid, might not be the most efficient one on a
> long-term perspective. Can we agree on that?

I have been involved in lengthy discussions about software patents for many
years. Basically there are two types of arguments:
1. Software is "special" due to its intangible/mathematical nature.
2. The economic value of software patents is questionable at best, and it is
likely to be negative: most swpats are even detrimental for innovation.

The former argument (1.) is complicated. It leads to lengthy discussions.
Particularly difficult to classify are inventions of conventional "hardware"
equipment, e.g. TV sets - where still the essence of the invention is just
software (or mathematics, if you like). My experience (over almost 10 years
now) is that this discussion is never convincing, and probably it is just
not true that software is really "special".

For that reason, I prefer argument number 2. Yes, software patents lead to
problems: potentially killing Open Source, affecting interoperability,
provoking "strategic patenting" games often designated as "mutually assured
destruction" (a term about nuclear threat from the times of the Cold War),
proneness to the "tragedy of the anticommons" because a single product may
need clearance of hundreds of patents. But the if someone opposes saying:
"but none of this is unique to software" then you should simply agree.
Economists found problems similar to swpat problems in other fields, like
(at a "macro" level) the "patent paradox": an increase in patenting activity
coinciding with a decrease in R&D investment spending. Outrageous! Firms
apparently move competition from the marketplace to the courtroom: "if you
can't beat them, sue them". They replace engineers by lawyers.

It is not that difficult to understand the problems induced by patents in
various other fields - if you use the economic argument. In every case, the
basic conflict is between the (false) idea of the need of "protection", and
the fundamental *freedom of ideas*. "Protection" is like motherhood: the
words itself suggests desirability. But a free market economy essentially
depends on the freedom of imitation, in particular if it is not just "me
too" type of imitation, but imitation adding improvement. Basically that is
called competition. And we all benefit from it. If you hate competition,
move to North Korea.

reinier