[pp.int.general] CETA agreement

Scott Elcomb psema4 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:47:49 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Patrick Maechler v/o Valio
<pirate at valio.ch> wrote:
> In case you were not aware of it yet: 5 days ago a draft of the CETA
> agreement has been leaked, a proposed IPR treaty between Canada and the
> EU. CETA is not formally connected to ACTA, but tackles similar aspects
> and stated positions have become part of ACTA negotiations.
>
> https://secure.wikileaks.org/wiki/Canada-EU_Comprehensive_Economic_and_Trade_Agreement_%28CETA%29_Intellectual_Property_chapter%2C_22_Sep_2009

I brought this up during yesterdays acta-tf meeting; Michael Geist has
a summary that is also worth a look:
  http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4627/125/

During a followup with some PPCA members after the meeting, it was
pointed out that the last sentence in Geist's article makes for a
great soundbite - at least in Canada:

"The net result is that when combined with the ACTA requirements,
Canadian copyright law reform may cease to become Canadian. Instead,
the rules will be dictated by secretive agreements as the U.S. and
Europe tag team to pressure Canada into dramatic changes far beyond
those even proposed in Bills C-60 or C-61."

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/   @psema4

  Member of the Pirate Party of Canada