[pp.int.general] Significance of use of Free and proprietary software in a political context

Richard M Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sun Feb 1 07:30:08 CET 2009

    The reason is that I'm trying to fight the common meme that anything
    that uses Linux is automatically GNU/Linux, and for people to stop and
    think when they use the term GNU/Linux. The GNU part actually *means*
    something, and is not just a prefix that should be tagged on before
    any instance of "Linux" to placate RMS. :-)

That is true: some embedded systems use Linux without GNU.  But this
is so different from a GNU/Linux system that it is rarely useful to
treat both cases at once.

The Linksys routers contain some FSF-copyrighted software, but I don't
remember what it is.