[pp.int.general] PPI platform for EU Election 2009

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Thu Jan 1 09:10:01 CET 2009

First of all, happy new year.

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> The Lisbon treaty is a tricky issue. The lack of democratic control in
> this treaty is dramatic, so it deserves to be rejected. At the same
> time, imho PP should not join neo-nationalist groups. Politics is
> increasingly anti-Europe, while I feel that a united Europe is VERY
> impoortant - in a historic perspective. With proper democratic
> control, of course!
I believe in the benefits of a united Europe ... as long as that united
Europe follows basic democratic principles.

I've read such a lot of critics to Ireland and Czech Republic from
different media -including Spanish media-, calling both countries
/anti-europeist/, just because of not having signed yet the Treaty!
Spanish mass media is controlled by those who are interested in a
concrete construction of EU without that proper democratic control, so
they manipulate the facts and forget to say that Ireland is the only
country which has asked its citizens whether they wanted the Treaty or
not, and that probably /NO/ would have been the result in other
countries if they had also asked their citizens.

I think that, as Reinier state that a united Europe is very important
*with proper democratic control*, we should publicly deny critics from
those who may say "/if you don't support Lisboa Treaty you're
anti-europeist/" and remark how important the democratic essentials are.

Per von Zweigbergk wrote:
> From purely a vote-gathering perspective, I'm sure you could attract a
> certain kind of voter by associating with eurosceptics and
> neonationalist groups. But I'm also sure you'd scare away others just
> the same.
>
> Of course, there are many other problems, both practical and
> ideological, with associating with such groups, which would mean at
> least I think it's unthinkable or at the very least a very bad idea to
> do so. I'm pretty sure that it would make us a lot less credible
> inside parliament when trying to influence other MEPs to take our
> position on differnet issues. It's a lot harder to dismiss us as a
> "purely negative party" if we line up with another group instead.
I agree on us being less credible if we line up ... though not just with
/neo-nationalists/ -whatever they are ... I only know about
nationalists-, but with anyone else. I consider that PPI has a different
political viewpoint and, thus, should have its own political entity;
concrete cooperation on concrete issues may be possible not just with
one parliamentary group, but with many ones ... though just that, for
specific cases, not a lining up. Regards,

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman