[pp.int.general] PPI platform for EU Election 2009

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Fri Jan 2 12:42:46 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> In my perception, one should be aware of EUROPEAN history. During the
> campaign in NL for the "European Constitution", the goverment said
> that the EU is also a means to prevent wars (or something similar).
> The statement was badly phrased, as a threat ("if you vote against,
> you weill get war"), but in a historic perspective the EU indeed is a
> reaction to various conflicts and dictatorial regimes in the past
> century, from Hitler to Franco and from Honecker to Brezhnev.
Watch out: I'm among those who want *one* constitution; however, wanting
one constitution doesn't imply accepting *that one* in particular.

That's a false dichotomy introduced by the EU bodies, /this one or
nothing/. No way, I prefer /option C/ -different process to make it,
more usable, different contents in some issues, etc ... and of course,
having people ratifying it, like we in Spain 1978's Constitution was
ratified by *60 % of eligible voters* (not of cast votes, but of
eligible voters; and also with the /YES/ winning in all districts);
there are majorities and majorities, depending on their legitimacy, and
60 % of eligible voters is indeed a legitimate majority-.
> In politics, there are always unusual combinations. For istance in The
> Netherlands, we have a progressive liberal party (D66) which is
> popular among lawyers and other intellectuals. They promote forms of
> more direct democracy like referenda, "in order to close the gap
> between the public and the government." Incidentally, similar
> proposals are made by far right populist groups (Verdonk, Wilders),
> who believe that the government is just a bunch of corrupt fools who
> only care for themselves and are totally out of touch with "ordinary
> people" (they claim to represent ordinary people - with statements
> reminding of the Nazi concept of "gesundes Volksempfinden" - the sound
> feelings of ordinary people).
We in PIRATA also believe in liquid democracy -an issue dealt with in
the Berlin Conference-, so such issue -consulting people to know what
the society wants, thus, having the State branches doing it- is not only
related to left-winged or right-winged parties.
> In my perception, "pirate" are intelletuals with naturally an
> international orientation.
Sure. However, as I said before, it doesn't imply that we have to accept
this Lisboa Treaty in particular, why? If EU citizens agree on the need
of having a common /Carta Magna/, let's gonna have one ... though not
that one -and specially not, if to be passed needs such an embarrasing
show like some Member States menacing others (i.e., Ireland), and those
and others avoiding to consult people (just to avoid getting a /NO/ as
the answer to the Treaty, as the Irish answer and as the French & Dutch
answer for NIce Treaty ... a Treaty which was not nice)-.

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman