[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Fri Jan 2 12:52:15 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> And it is very American. US copyright does not recognize moral rights,
> so they  are not mandatory under TRIP(E)S. Some people had a lot of
> fun when TRIPS was actually used *against* the Amercans - who allowed
> no copyrights to be paid for (radio) music played in bars.
Can anyone have fun when law is used /against/ anyone? With /against/ I
guess you mean that the TR/IP/S was designed to introduce new conditions
for the author's rights treatment in the USA.
> Unfortunately, these rules are so vague that nobody knows what they
> really mean - but on the positive side, that gives also room for
> interpretation.
I don't want that room for interpretation. While laws always allow an
interpretation margin, I think that such margin has to be restricted
-laws, though not 100 % /as is/ (because often there are cases that
doesn't fully match with law and require courts of justice to
interprete), I think that should leave clear their spirit and purposes,
to avoid twisted interpretations-; otherwise, certainty of law -one of
basic principles- would disappear, and judges and governments would be
able to make interpretations -opposite from those made some years ago-
according to unclear reasons.
> I admit, this is by no means the kind of radical change that PP would
> prefer. But imho one should combine long-term visionary activity with
> down-to-earth hands-on activism relating to "earthy" proposals.
Sorry, I don't know which is /the kind of radical change/ that you
consider wouldn't be preferable for PPI.

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman